Writing Together is a critical component of ECAW instruction.
The method was originally called Joint Negotiation of Text by
The process includes guided group discussions leading to a developed writing plan and an anchor text product.
Because the process is constantly guided by the teacher, students internalize a broad range of writing skills and strategies.
- Proper letter formation with immediate, corrective feedback
- Letter-sound association applied in authentic writing
- Grammatical principles including subject-verb agreement
- Essential writing conventions in the context of real writing
- Planning with graphic organizers
- Appropriate, consistent tense and perspective
- Vocabulary selection and definition
- Growing sentence structures
- Complex targets in context
The anchor texts composed during this process further serve as personal, tangible exemplars for students' later independent work.
Writing Together is a powerful component of ECAW Instruction.